Monday, July 7, 2014

'THE TRUMAN SHOW' Movie Review

Ever seen Jim Carrey play in a compelling movie unlike his eccentric character from Ace Ventura and Liar Liar? Apart from 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'(click here for review) this could've been the one that sparked his interest in dramas.

'The Truman Show' is directed by Peter Weir and it stars Jim Carrey, Laura Linney, Ed Harris, Noah Emmerich, Natascha McElhone, Holland Taylor and Paul Giamatti.
If at some point in your life you stumbled upon this movie, checked the synopsis or the casing and you thought to yourself that this probably isn't worth your time, then I suggest you reconsider and
give this a chance. You may be surprised.
'The Truman Show' is about Truman Burbank(Jim Carrey) and how his whole life is televised 24 hours a day to the entire world. Truman lives his life like an ecstatic, regular joe working to pay the bills but deep down hides more feelings and needs. Truman is unaware of his private shown globally until certain incidenences make him second guess about the world he lives in.

This drama/comedy I believe is perfect for Jim Carrey, I can't see anyone else playing this character. This movie is a little unusual. Once we get involved and invested in our protagonist not only does it make us wonder what's going to happen next but also add funny moments to it(not forgetting the incredibly, touching moments too). The tone of the film plays a big role in how we should feel about the film. You know and feel that something is not right, it's almost hard to explain by words and the best way I believe you can understand is if you see it. The tone enhances our connection with Truman and boy does it it do a great deal in that, it had me rooting for him, feeling for him and worried for him until the very end.

Though at some points the movie can dip into it's silent moments, whether it's to tell the tale or have characters whispering to each other, there are many positive reinforcements that bounces the energy back up that lear our attention once again. Nothing that shows off in a glamorous or obvious way through imagery or loud noises but more like twists and turns that stuns us out of expectations we had from this movie. 
This tale is so original, as well as the direction it takes, and what I love about it most is the bold and courageous message and inspiration it obtains about life and having a dream. For those who read my other reviews, you know that I love movie themes that reflect and relate to life so much it's inspiring. I take movie moments that touch on it really seriously and straight to the heart that I'll carry with me for a very long time(I guess until I die).
'The Truman Show' is undeniably a thought provoking and intelligent film that has you supporting the protagonist in a humane way. As talented as Jim Carrey is, it is evident that he can handle dramas quite easily and effectively. Overall this movie moved me and is listed as one of my all time favourites and a part of my movie collection.

My rating for 'The Truman Show' is a 9.5/10.

You can also find me on:


LIKED THIS REVIEW? LEAVE A COMMENT AND SHARE IT AMONGST YOUR FRIENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment